Tuesday, August 19, 2014

To Kill A Mocking Bird

I went through Christian education. It's was great, but because of that, most of the books I read in highschool aren't the same ones you did.

Catcher in the Rye? Nope. Nineteen Eighty Four? Nada. Animal Farm. Yes actually, I did... but that was more because my Mom had a copy and I wanted to give it a read.

I've been working through some "classics" recently. To Kill A Mocking Bird was at the top of my list. 

Good thing it was too -- It's awesome.

I'm also glad I didn't read it in high school. It wouldn't have meant as much. 

If you missed out on this gem, it's about childhood. Sure, there's a court case and racial tensions and drama. However, it's not about that. It's about growing up. Kids living in an adult world. 

The thing that sells it for me, is how believable the whole thing is. Kids really would interpreter situations the way the kids in Mocking Bird do.

They would dare each other to touch the scary house, make up stories about why the cranky old lady down the road is cranky and would notice when stuff isn't right.

I loved it.

That being said, there is some mild language. FYI.

Next up - The Giver. What's a book you've really enjoyed?

2 comments:

  1. I read this last year for my book club! I am homeschooled (and a Christian in grade 11), so I have some same problems as you did, not reading the same types of books as other non-Christian educated people would read. That said, while other friends are reading books that I am clueless about, I would rather read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea or The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne. Book club has really helped!
    P.S. This book clubs first book is I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favorite book as a child was "are you there God it's me Margaret." now my favorite books are by "Francine Rivers" antonella lisa lisanti

    ReplyDelete