Wednesday, July 16, 2014

But....

It could just be me or it could be a trend. I'm not sure, but "but" seems to be the scapegoat of the English language.

Think about it.

You're enjoying a nice lunch with a friend. They look at you and say something along the lines of "I don't want to offend you but...". The words that follow after the ... are brutal. This friend doesn't mince words. They just say what they want (which is quite offensive) and then go back to their lunch. You want to say something back, but you can't technically. They "didn't want to offend you." You've lost the argument before it even started.

People do it with racist comments too. I'm not racist but... ya...

Maybe I'm just on the net too much. I keep seeing it and hearing it though.

I get that we do need to be frank and up front with each other sometimes, but shouldn't we still try to be tactful? If we really don't want to offend someone and still need to rebuke them, shouldn't we just say what the problem is?

I can't think of the scripture where Jesus says - Hey guys, don't want to offend you, but you are a bunch of white washed tombs.

Maybe I'm over thinking this.

And before you ask, no, I wasn't recently having lunch with a friend. I just needed an example!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha, that part about "Hey guys, don't want to offend you, but you are a bunch of white washed tombs." cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete