Monday, July 21, 2014

Being A Good Friend

I love going to church. I love the worship, the sermon, the fellowship before and after. LOVE IT! That being said there are some days where it just doesn't click. You can ask me 30 seconds after the sermon ends what it was about... I couldn't tell you to save my life! It's not that I don't pay attention, I guess it just doesn't hit me.

This Sunday wasn't one of those sermons!

I was visiting a local church. The pastor was speaking on 1 Samuel. Talking about the friendship between Jonathan and David. 

It's changed the way I see them.

I always saw them as being good friends, but I never considered what that looked like.

In 1 Samuel 23:17 we seen a distressed David. Saul is trying to kill him. Jonathan (Saul's son) is there, trying to bring him some comfort.

What does he do? He reminds David of God's promise. David will be king. He could've given a generic "it'll all work out." He didn't though. Instead he talked to David where he was at.

That was the first thing that hit me.

The second was how Jonathan really is the hero of the story. He's there for David while his father is trying to kill him. Not only that, he's stepping aside so that David can be king. Jonathan is basically giving up his birth right. He's following God's plan even though it is going to cost him everything.

I wonder if I would do that. Would I be willing to lay my reputation, financial security or even life on the line for a friend if God asked me to? I'd like to think so. But thinking and doing are two very different things!

That's what I'm thinking about today. I'll likely be thinking about it for a while. It's inspired me to rethink how I treat friendships. How we as the body of Christ should look. Hopefully it does the same for you!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing, and very true. You always think you know the story or have heard this story over before about Jonathan and David, but really never come to take it in this way. It's inspiring to learn it this way, more in depth about Jonathan's character and how it shows God's character and grace also :) Thank you for sharing, great message from a sermon :)

    ReplyDelete