Friday, September 21, 2012

Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes. 
I'd been told most of my life the books were good, I knew I'd likely read 'em sooner or later, but never got around to it. Then, last year I watched a trailer for Sherlock Holmes 2. My immediate thought? Forget the movie! I'm reading the book.
It took 8 months, but I finally read "The Book". Or books. 

Turns out Sherlock is a whack (and I do mean whack) of short stories. There are 4 long form books, but the rest are from an old school (think 100 years ago old school) magazine.

I really loved them.

I think it's the way the problems are solved. With CSI being the standard in mysteries anymore, a different format was a refreshing experience.

Another thing that surprised me was how messed up Holmes is.
He's moody, rude, a slight chauvinist and even has some less the terrific habits.
Sounds like us doesn't he? Messed up. Yet, he was a hero in fiction world and in our world.
Believe it or not, God used this as an analogy for me. 
Just like Holmes was used despite his idiosyncratic, God uses us despite ours.  

I did wind up seeing the movie... just read the books...

No comments:

Post a Comment