Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Best of 2010

Christmas time is here. It's everywhere you go. Tinsel, tin foil, Christmas cheer. I have officially finished Christmas shopping, but in the event you haven't, here are a few gift suggestions for the music lovers on your list.

House of Heroes - Suburba. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this record. The whole project is about growing up in Suburban America, the dreams that we have and the need for God in it all. Great Album. Plus you can hear God Save the Foolish Kings over and over and over and ove......

Jars of Clay - The Shelter. This wasn't my favorite cd of 2010 (see above) but it is still solid. It features a ton of artists. I counted them one day, but I forget how many there where... 17 cameos?

Group 1 Crew - Outta Space Love. This cd marked a major change for everyone's favorite hip-hop act from Florida. They went from a mixed bag of styles to a dance/urban/mo-town sound. A good listen.

Anberlin - Dark Is The Way Light Is The Place. O.K. I don't own this cd. But, in my defense I have listened to it. It is arguably my favorite Anberlin cd. Very melodic, yet they turn it up when appropriate.

Charmaine - Love Reality. Once again I don't own this record yet (**hint** **hint**), but it's really good. Charmaine is able to deliver a power pop/techno hybrid that is music to my ears (and most critic's ears).

David Crowder* Band - Church Music. O.K Church Music came out last year... but it is a really good album...

And these are my "pleasant surprises" for the year--

Rend Collective Experiment - Organic Family Hymnal. Who? Ya that is what I said. But after buying the cd, I became a fan. R.C.E. comes from Ireland, which becomes evedent in their music. David Crowder is even an honorary member!

Future of Forestry - Travel I, II & III. I had heard of Future of Forestry while watching one of their music videos in the Treasure House. Then I forgot about them. Then I got Travel I,II and III (a 3 ep collection). Wow was I impressed. They rock, that's all I can say. These eps are ambient and imaginative with some interesting twists.

There you have it, my favorite cds of the year. In no way am I saying that these are the best, they are however the best that I have heard. If there is a cd that you'd recommend, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. The Anberlin CD was ok, but they're getting to artsy and trying to be clever. I liked the "Friendship" CD. Nothing will compete.

    I've given up on full albums. I think artists have gone back to "the filler songs" like in the 80's. My favourite songs are on a song by song basis.

    "Avalanche" Manafest
    "Down and Out" To Tell/Hello Kelly
    "Mine" Taylor Swift
    "Lifetime" Kris Allen

    ReplyDelete